Sunday, May 4, 2014

March, book one


What struck me most was the choice of artwork and layout of the pages. Each frame correlated with the text flawlessly, even using the space of the page to say something without text. For example when Rosa Parks made her presence in the comic, the bus that she rode on was alone on a page and used as more of an icon of history rather than a direct representation of a simple bus. 

I noticed the use of solid black pages, they stood out so well because of the boldness and difference from a typical white page, this I feel the artist was trying to make a point, but subtly. 
The use of black also had a way of displaying a memory or link to the past, putting an importance to the page. 

Characterization in the comic was representational but with a twist of personality, each person seemed to be showing some stereotype based from culture, but the majority I felt was represented in a somewhat equal way. The more I read the comic, the more I started to feel a real sense of what the time period was like, and what the black community had to go through. I’ll be excited to read the second installment of the book, and will definitely recommend this comic to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment