Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sin City

Both the film and graphic novel consist of what I believe is called a ‘framed narrative’. It is a large story that is comprised of many small stories. All independent action, suspense, violent, and mystery stories that are unveiled and come together in the final story. Visually, the color pallet used in both the graphic novel and film is minimal, using only greys, blacks, whites, and vivid reds and yellows. I feel as though each individual story contains all the elements of gore, romance, and excitement that make a story arc so riveting. It’s easy to relate to the characters in the setting because although Sin City is a total exaggeration of reality it is an adaptation of real and familiar scenarios. Such as violence, rape, prostitution, etc.

Sin City’s artwork to be put into one word would be bold; I say this because the style is very blocky, verging on the style of Mike Mignola (Hellboy). Because it is so bold the shape language has to be on point, and to make sense, which is carried out so elegantly.

From reading the comics I get a feeling of hidden political viewpoints that are made apparent from the several story lines that go on. This could just be something that I (personally) notice but there seem to be indications of it. From the several story lines that take place in Sin City and the interesting character development I can relate it to Watchman. I hope to continue reading Sin City as it is a favorite of mine and with the amazing artwork to feed my eyes with.




No comments:

Post a Comment