Sunday, May 4, 2014

Phoenix Osamu Tezuka

I read Phoenix Dawn the first of the volumes, and I was very interested in it. I have always had a liking for manga and anime, but I couldn’t read some just because of the pure tropes that were consistent in other manga’s.

The basic premise of all of the volumes is to somehow gain immortality, and it comes from the phoenix. Sounds like a pretty typical epic story with lots of obstacles and interesting characters on the way.  The time frame that comes with each volume jumps further into the future, for example the first book Dawn starts out in pre Japan that is historically accurate, to the future, which is usually fiction. This play with the past and future allows for a lot of creativity and realism being combined, for something to relate too.

I started to realize after I had read half of the first volume that the when I was reading summaries of the other volumes it seemed to have a reoccurring themes. It was all essentially trying to tell the reader something.


Artwork for the story was all right, a little out dated but sometimes I can really enjoy that classic manga look.


No comments:

Post a Comment